Thursday, January 12, 2012

Classic Chicken Fricassee and Low Carb Vanilla Ice Cream

Tonight I made a recipe out of my new Atkins cookbook.  I motified the recipe to fit my tastes.
Here is the original recipe:

3 TB butter
4 lbs bone-in chicken parts
1 medium yellow or white onion, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups chicken broh
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add chicken an brown on all sides, about 10 minutes
Reduce heat to medium, add onion, celery, thyme, and marjoram.  Saute until vegetables are soft, about 6 minutes.  Add garlic and saute unti fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add broth.  Increase het to high and bring to a boil.  Reduceheat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. 
Transfer chicken to platter.  Stir cream into saucepan, increase heat to medium and simmer until sauce thckens slightly, about 10 minutes.  Add salt and pepper. Pour over chicken and serve.
6 Servings
Each serving is 410 Calories, Fat 20g, Total Carbs 3g, Fiber 0g, Protein 52g, Net Carbs 3g

Here is my version:  I used 6 chicken breasts, omitted the onion(Hubby don't like them), add 8oz sliced baby bella mushrooms, used 2 cups of broth, 3/4 cup of heavy cream.  I also used 1 tsp of guar gum at the end to make it more thicker.
6 servings
Each serving is 435 Calories, Fat 19g, Total Carbs 3.9g, Fiber 1.4g, Protein 57.6g, Net Carbs 2.5g
*Atkins All Phases




I LOVE Ice Cream.  Last year in March my Hubby bought me a Cuisinart Automatic Ice Cream maker for my birthday.  It was one of the best present I got:)  So I looked though the recipe book for ideas to make a Low Carb Version.


Low Carb Vanilla Ice Cream
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup xylitol
pinch of salt
2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 TB vanilla extract

Whisk all ingredients together.  Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours or overnight.  Then add mixture to Ice Cream maker as instructed in manual. 
Makes about 10, 1/2 cup servings.
Each Serving: Calories 222, Fat 20g, Carbs 2.5g, Fiber 0g, Protein 2g
*Atkins Phase 2 and Up.
Yesterday, I was at my local Wal-mart and seen that Atkins came out with some new bars.  One caught my eye: Chocolate chip cookie dough.  I then bought a box.  Then last night as I was eating my ice cream I thought about those bars.  Next time I make a batch of my ice cream I am going to add a cut up bar of the chocolate chip cookie dough and throw it in while it is mixing. I will then have my favorite flavored blizzard treat in a low carb ice cream!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment